Thursday, January 27, 2011

Does Water Burn?

Does any one else remember when they were young and just learning how to cook one of your adult friends or family members jokingly saying to you; 1) don't burn the house down or 2) make sure not to burn the water? Well I do.

I never understood why any one would say these things nor did I understand how you could burn water. So I did an experiment a couple of weeks ago to see if water burns......OK so it wasn't an experiment. I wanted to boil some water for rice noodles. Whenever I watch the water it seems that it doesn't boil so I thought I would out think it and leave the room and work on the computer. Oops the water out thought me....while I got all caught up on every thing on the computer and my mind began to fog over in the distance of our home I could smell something burning. Slowly proceeding into the kitchen where I smelled the burning I quickly realized that I had forgotten the water that I left to boil.

So does water burn? I would have to say no but the pan does when the water evaporates. To this day whenever I use that pan I can smell the burned smell---I think that I actually started to melt the metal of the pan.

This little "experiment" reminded me of  another experiment that I performed for little children when I was maybe 9/10 years old. We were staying at a family friends house at the time. They had a large family, many of their children were 6 or younger. For some reason all of us kids were left alone in the house and the older ones, 8,9, 10 were supposed to watch the younger ones. So I decided that I would be a scientist and show the younger kids how snow actually was water frozen. I carefully went outside with a small bowl that was made of a type of plastic (the kind that was really popular during the 70's---it was hard and mustard yellow). After retrieving the snow I needed a heating element to melt the snow into the water---I knew this would be great showing the younger kids, it would be alike a great magician performing the greatest trick of all!!! So I turned one the heating elements of the electric stove and place the bowl on top of it.

What a shock I had when the bowl proceeded to melt---what had happened? The snow was supposed to melt, not the bowl??? Last time I visited our family friends the mother brought out that same bowl to show me that she had kept it as a relic---

No comments: