Thursday, November 17, 2011

Soft Wheat Rolls for Hamburgers or Sandwiches

The other day my husband requested home made hamburger rolls-----
So I looked through all my recipe books and found nothing (these are just some of my favorites)
Finally I looked on the internet and found a recipe that I adjusted to our diet
This recipe is a keeper!!!
my husband loved the rolls

The original recipe called for white and wheat flour----We don't use processed white flour any more in our cooking, but just plain wheat can be a bit too bitter for my taste so I used a combination of Wheat Flour (home ground) and Oat Flour (home ground)
This is our grinder---it's a Vita-Mix that is used quite a bit in our house for multi uses
Right side is the wheat and left side is oatmeal

Oatmeal before and after grinding it
Wheat before and after grinding it
Closer look at the Vita-Mix---makes flour, smoothies, soups...

Food storage Oats

Food storage Wheat

Other ingredients; yeast, egg, water, organic sugar, Himalayan salt, shortening

The dough came out to nice


Finished rolls--Hamburger rolls

This one didn't come out too well--I'm not so sure what happened to it???

Nice and fluffy

They look like artisan rolls







I could tell it was a hit when there was a half of a roll eaten on the cooling rack, before they even could totally cool

The Recipe
The original recipe that I found was at
I used this recipe as a spring board to experiment with the ingredients I wanted to use----I really like the reviews for this recipe---but I changed the ingredients to suite our taste and they came out so nice and tasty--they're a favorite for our family now
Where I live is very high in altitude so besides changing a couple of ingredients I had to place the ingredients into the bread machine differently too
                                                                     
cup warm water (I used warm water because the yeast doesn't grow as fast in the high climates)
teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup sugar (I used organic sugar)
egg                                                                                     
Allowed these ingredients to sit together for about 15 min so the yeast could start to work (due to high altitude) 
2 1/4c Wheat flour                                                                                                                    
3/4c Oat Flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup sugar

  • Their Directions:
  • 1 Place all ingredients in bread pan, select Dough setting, and press Start. 
  • 2 When dough has risen enough, the machine will beep. Remove bread pan, and turn out dough onto a floured counter-top  Gently roll and shape the dough into a 12-inch rope.
  • 3 With a sharp knife, divide dough into 8 pieces for hamburger buns or 12 pieces for hot dog buns.
  • 4 Grease a baking sheet. Roll pieces of dough into balls and flatten for hamburger buns or shape into 6-inch rolls for hot dog buns. Place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise in warm oven 10 to 15 minutes until almost doubled.
  • 5 Preheat oven to 400°F Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown (be careful mine cook pretty fast). Remove from oven and cool on racks. When ready to use, split buns horizontally. These will keep in plastic bag in the freezer for 3 to 4 weeks.

    My comment on their directions; step 4 you don't need to grease non stick pans
  • No comments: