Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rich Egg Bread

The original recipe I found in the Betty Crocker Cookbook (Red Book). I've made a few alterations to the recipe.

3 1/4 c Whole Wheat Flour (I grind my own---I want to know what's in my flour)
1/4 c Organic Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 package regular or quick active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 c + 2Tbsp Very Warm Water (120-130 degrees)
2Tbsp + 2tsp  Oil
1 large Egg

There are two ways that you can do this using a bread machine;
A) Where I live, the altitude is high, so how I make this bread is
1. Place Sugar, Salt, Water, Yeast, and oil in the bread machine pan---allow to sit for 6 minutes---this will help your bread to rise nicely---you'll notice after the time is done there is foam in the pan, that's the yeast activated
2. Add the egg and than the flour
3. Set the bread machine to Whole Wheat Bread

B) Back in NY where the altitude is below or at sea level I just read the instructions that the bread machine came with for bread and it always worked---

No comments: