Friday, August 27, 2010

HOLLANDAISE SAUCE

My comment: this sauce is great over poached eggs but it's also great over vegetable dishes

From the Pillsbury Cookbook p. 191, copy right 1989, given to me as a Christmas gift from my Gram in 1991

3 egg yolks
1/8 tsp salt and pepper
4 tsp lemon juice (squeeze your own, don't use the lemon juice you get in the store that's sold in a bottle or plastic looking lemon)
1/2 cup butter, softened

In small saucepan or top of double boiler, slightly beat egg yolks. Add salt, pepper, lemon, and 1/4 cup of the butter; blend well. Cook over low heat or over hot water (not boiling) until butter melts stirring constantly. Gradually add remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until mixture is smooth and thickened. remove from heat; serve immediately or keep warm over hot (not boiling) water.

Tip: If sauce curdles, add hot water 1 tsp at a time; beat until sauce is smooth

My adaptations: I used milk to make it smooth because mine curdled due to me not reading the recipe completely--too rushed

My recommendation: Don't rush with this recipe, take your time

No comments: