Friday, August 27, 2010

Morning Adventures

OK, so I guess I have to admit to it--my mom and gram were right about a lot of things. As I get older, I see how much they were right. I remember when I was a little girl and how I thought they knew every thing and then something happened during the teenage years, 20s and even 30's, hey what can I say I guess I'm a late bloomer.

Grams advice: don't sit while cooking
Moms advice: make sure you have enough room when cooking
Rachael Rays advise: have all the correct tools and ingredients out before you start cooking
Grams and Moms advise: don't try to do things at the last minute
Old German saying that used to be on Grams wall "haste makes waste"

I have a regular schedule in the morning that's been forced on me by my labby puppy---ok ok I know he's not a baby or puppy (5 years old) but come on once a puppy always a puppy. Almost every morning around 6:30am he starts crying. Once you start to move around in bed, he gets more persistent with his needs. He gets louder. If I don't get up right away he comes over to my face and stares. If I have moved or made the mistake of opening my eyes, he immediately jumps up on the side of the bed, usually onto my chest with his hind legs still on the floor---image now you're barely away a 90 something pound dog jumps on your chest or stomach. If I wasn't awake by than I certainly am now. If you don't up right away he gets very indignant and he cries louder and starts to "yell" at me (barks---for those non dog people out there) and he stomps his feet--click click goes his nails on the hard floor.

After I get out of bed he rushes behind me and starts to herd me in the direction in which he wants me to go--as if I didn't already know. Of course it's to his dish----oh no potty is not as important as the food---food is the only thing that's important in life. I use the bathroom and than I put the leash on the dog that's by now jumping around and clicking, clicking around. We go outside to potty. Instead of going right away he just stands there and smells the air and than walks so slowly and smells the grass maybe eats some. Than with much reminding he finally pees. Than he thinks he's ready to come in a eat---nope he than needs more reminding to do you know.....than finally his food time---clicking again, now it's the happy dance, he even spins around

This morning nothing was new with pups schedule. But Dan had to be out of the house by 8am. By the time I could get to make his breakfast was around 7:15 and what was on the menu? Of course nothing simple---I made up my mind that I was going to make Eggs Benedict

Eggs Benedict requires poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce. The hollandaise sauce recipe required a double boiler--I don't have one so I just got a quart pot with water and place a large metal bowl on top of it---apparently the bowl got too hot or I put too much lemon in (I didn't have time to measure the lemon) because the sauce started to look like scrambled eggs---the sauce should look like nice smooth. So I started to get a bit anxious---oh my heck I just used 1/2 butter and 4 egg yolks and I wasted it--I thought quick that maybe there was a way to still rescue the recipe, yep add just a little milk to the mixture and mix it quick with a whisk until it's smooth.

The poached eggs didn't look perfect but as long as the yolk are still intact it's ok with me--did it.

Now what happened next isn't my fault honestly---I did worn Dan. While I was putting the eggs, sauce on some wheat rolls and ham--looking exceptionally beautiful if I don't say so myself--I had to place the plate that I was putting the food on on the burner that I had used for making the sauce. The burner was still hot. You maybe wonder why some one would ever put a plate on a hot burner??? Well we live in a very small trailer 60 feet by 12 feet. Every thing in it is small including the kitchen. The kitchen doesn't have a great deal of cupboard space, so where do you put a plate that you're try to place poached eggs and sauce on??? Naturally the burner, where there is room.

After making the beautiful breakfast I said to Dan be careful the plate is hot. Dan says to me "how am I supposed to bring that with me?" I said "You don't just sit down and eat it quickly" so Dan didn't want to sit I guess because next thing I know he's screaming "ohhh that's hot" as he spills my beautiful master piece onto the table and runs to the sink.

To add insult to injury, Dan after cooling down his finger says "why didn't you tell me it was hot?" After I reminded him that I had and told him why it was hot he says "why did you put the plate on a hot burner?" No room in the Inn, hahaha. OK than after eating the eggs that I helped to salvage off the table he says "I don't really like the lemon flavor" Great! All of that rushing for what? Oh well after he left I enjoyed my eggs.

Now as I look at the recipe that I didn't really read well before doing I see a couple of mistakes that I did---1) not reading the recipe completely, 2) it says to keep the sauce warm over hot water (not boiling), hahaha

Lets chalk this up to a learning experience, hahaha---

No comments: